Ok, so I am seeing articles a lot that try to show Linux Gaming has something to offer. They then hold up a dozen first person shooters as proof that Linux Gaming is alive and well. I dunno about everyone else, but I do eventually get sick of playing FPS type games. Give me a nice RTS (Real Time Strategy) Game or a nice Sim of some sort. So I thought I would put a list together of Games that I have found that were a bit different, and lots of fun. And I refuse to fill this list with the standard Arcade style Games.
- Regnum Online : This is a nicely done MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game.) Many quests already, and more still being added. It is a Kingdom vs Kingdom type of Game. As in, you get big, and then try to take over areas by fighting other players who belong to other Kingdoms. Kinda fun, and adds a new twist. Or an old one if you ever played DAoC. (Dark Age of Camelot) Currently has some slow spots, but is a nice solid game, and has a new and interesting pay for premium content business model. Worth a look if you like MMORPG’s!
- Majesty Gold : A cool little Kingdom Sim. You are the ruler, you pay your heroes to go out and do things like rescue a princess, or get a book, or go out and kill the evil mage. Decent graphics, although slightly out dated now. Still a lot of fun to play!
- Knights and Merchants : A RTS(Real Time Strategy) game. Again, like Majesty, you are the ruler of your own Kingdom, this time though, you take direct control of your soldiers. If you ever played games like Dune 2/C&C(Command and Conquer)/Warcraft 2 and enjoyed them, this is probably a good game choice for you. Sadly, the graphics are a bit out dated, but it is still a good game.
- Alpha Centauri : When the colony ship from Earth reaches Alpha Centauri, the crew, once a united group, have splintered into seven factions. You are the leader of one of these factions as you explore this new world and attempt to gain the upper hand against the other groups. Research new technologies, make alliances, and betray your friends, all whilst defending your territory from those annoying aliens that seem to think they have some right to this planet.
- Dune Legacy : Lead one of three interplanetary houses, Atreides, Harkonnen or Ordos, in an attempt to harvest the largest amount of spice from the sand dunes. Exchange your spice stockpiles for credits through refinement and build an army capable of thwarting attempts of the other houses to stop your harvesting! This is based off the first ever RTS game as far as I am concerned, and is a good game. I got it running pretty well on Mepis 6.0 just by following their directions on the page I linked to.
- Penumbra : Overture is a first person adventure game which focuses on story, immersion and puzzles. Instead of using violence to progress the player has to use his/her wits to guide Philip on his quest to unravel the past. Similar in thought and play to Games like Mist. Adventure and solve puzzles.
- X2 – The Threat : X2 features stunning graphics, beyond anything seen before in the space genre.
Open ended gameplay allows you to choose your path freely, in a universe that would take you almost 2 days playing time just to fly from one end to the other. Pilot any of over 60 classes of ship ranging from the tiny Argon Discoverer, a one man fighter, all the way to the Teladi Albatross, a huge carrier class ship over 2km long, capable of carrying a squadron of fighters, all at your command. Complex yet intuitive interface allows complete control of your empire. Be it a trading fleet of merchant vessels flying between the factories and stations littering space, or a fighter wing of deadly Split Raptors.
- Danger from the Deep : A cool Submarine Simulation Game. You are in control of a WWII German Sub. Very cool game, and the graphics are even pretty cool. 🙂 Worth a look!
- Flight Gear : A cool flight Simulator. Decent graphics, cool game play, good physics. If you are into Flight Sims, this is worth a look!
- Thunder&Lightning : Thunder&Lightning is a futuristic action flight simulator game that takes place in a large 3D environment. Jump into the pilot seat of your Lightning aircraft and fight against Thunder tanks in a fierce battle for control of the island! In the long run, Thunder&Lightning will incorporate features from the 80’s classics Carrier Command and Midwinter . There will be multiple Islands to conquer, each with its own defense strategy.
- Neverwinter Nights : is a computer game set in a huge medieval fantasy world of Dungeons and Dragons. This role-playing game (RPG) puts you at the center of an epic tale of faith, war, and betrayal. As a player, you are able to choose what skills and abilities you will develop as you voyage though the complex and dangerous fantasy world of Forgotten Realms. Be a deadly and dangerous Rogue moving through the shadows using stealth and secrecy, be a scholarly Wizard and wield powerful magic against your enemies, be a hulking Barbarian whose lust for battle is matched only by his terrible rage, be an armor-clad Paladin who protects the innocent and vanquishes his foes, be a crusading Cleric who heals the sick and defends the helpless… be all this and more.
- Tribal Trouble : A bunch of clueless Viking raiders have stranded on a group of tropical islands – much to the annoyance of the local Natives. Help the tribesmen settle their disputes in this fast paced realtime strategy game.
- Lunar Domination : This looks like a cool finance sim meets RTS, but I have never gotten the demo to run right on Mepis 6.5. So Can not really recommend it. However, that being said, it looks really cool, so if you can get it to run, let me know!
Those are some of my favorite games that are not FPS types, and not arcade games. Do they make Linux a viable Gaming platform? Maybe not, but they are at least a bridge to get people to start using Linux. The more people we get into Linux, who then buy games to run on Linux, the more chance there is that we will be able to get more great games on Linux! So as I have always said,”Want Games in Linux? BUY GAMES IN LINUX!”
Ok, a lot of people are saying that MMA fighters are under paid. I am still trying to figure this out. I mean seriously, in the UFC they make between 3k and 350k that I have seen. That seems like a good wage for everyone if you ask me. If you are on the under card, I can see where you only get 3k.. I mean, how many people are coming to see just you, or paying for a ppv just to see you? I think that to get good money, it should be a matter of,”What did you bring to the show?”
Many people seem to disagree, they claim that MMA fighters, and UFC fighters specifically are getting screwed. How so? The average American is not making anywhere near that. Just because boxers some how managed to arrange to get outrageous sums of money.. Of course, with that sport dying, or it should have by now, I do not understand why anyone would hold that up as an example of something you want to copy. I think making 3k in a night is not a bad night. And any more is a great night!
Had a really nice day today. We all went and watched the new Harry Potter Movie. Order of the Phoenix. It was a great movie! Best Wizards Duel I have EVER seen, bar none! It was awesome! I have read a lot of reviews slamming the newest movie for being to dark and so on and so forth. It was exactly what I would expect at this point in Harry’s life! It was great. He started out a bit moody and dark, but by the end his friends had gotten through to him and the gang was kicking butt. I highly recommend the movie! I loved it!
We then went out for dinner with my mother. We went to a place called Captain Jack’s. Had some awesome Mango BBQ Shrimp! Woo! Was great! Actually, I got scallops. Emmy got the shrimp and we shared. The shrimp was the stuff.
Ok, Jim Walters, a long time friend of mine sent me this today. It is hilarious! I am signing up! I wanna see the classes and such! It looks really funny! Looking for more to sign up also?! Anyone? Come on! It will be fun! Really? Hehehe.
Nothing against Chicago, but I am thrilled that Stephan Bonnar finally found a new place to train! And talk about smarts? He actually joined with Randy Coutures newly created team! Xtreme Couture! Congrats Stephan for finding such a kick butt School! Look forward to seeing what leaps you make in your ground game! About time!
Read More Here!
Saw this cool article with cool ideas for cheap dates. Decided I would like to post it here so I could make sure I have it to check out closer when looking for affordable ideas.
Sarah Pierce www.hitchedmag.com Updated: Jul 19, 2007
With great weather and a desire to be adventurous, there’s no excuse for you and your partner not to go on a date. Don’t have enough money, you say? Here are 20 ideas for memorable dates that won’t set you back more than $20.
1. Find the best happy hour in town. Look through your newspaper or search online for local restaurants and bars with happy hours. Most places offer half-price food and drink specials, allowing you to get two drinks and share an appetizer for less than $20.
2. Go to a museum. Most museums either have free admission or offer free entry on certain days of the month.
3. Visit your local zoo. Most zoos offer adult tickets for less than $10. Pack your own snacks and bottled water and have a mini picnic while you’re there.
4. Go on a romantic hike. Bring a backpack and surprise your partner with a bottle of champagne, glasses and fresh strawberries.
5. Go swimming at your local pool, lake or beach. Bring some water toys and have more fun than the kids.
6. Beat the heat with an ice cream date. Take two scoops to the park, or take a walk downtown and go people watching.
7. Hit the dollar movie theater. Lots of cities have discount movie theaters showing second-run features. Pick a rainy day and have a movie marathon.
8. Take a downtown walking tour. Discover things and places you never knew existed. While you’re there, pick up a free visitors guide for more date ideas.
9. Plan a cheap picnic. Go on a picnic at the beach, mountains or in your own backyard. Grab a blanket, pack a deli sandwich and a bottle of $5 wine.
10. Take a blanket to the beach. Split your budget between a bottle of wine and cheese, then enjoy the sunset while you snuggle on a blanket.
11. Stroll through the botanical gardens. Spend the day
“walking hand in hand through rose gardens and tropical rainforests”
walking hand in hand through rose gardens and tropical rainforests, for less than $10 a ticket.
12. Be a kid again. Go bowling, play miniature golf, ride go-carts or play laser tag.
13. Build a bonfire. All you need is some firewood, snacks and a drink of your choice. This is also a great opportunity to make ‘smores.
14. Rent something. Go roller- or ice-skating, rent a two-seater bike and pedal through the park, or paddle a boat on a pond.
15. Paint pottery together. Lots of studios let you get creative for around $6 an hour.
16. Pitch a tent. Park fees are usually less than $10, which leaves money for food and firewood. Go camping and roast hot dogs as you gaze at the stars.
17. Go wine tasting. Most wineries charge around $5 for a tasting of five different wines — plus,
“you’ll get to keep the glass as a souvenir of your date”
you’ll get to keep the glass as a souvenir of your date.
18. Take a scenic drive. Pull over to have coffee and dessert at a nice cafe.
19. Explore local galleries and artists. Many cities have art walks one night a month during the summer, with the bonus of a free glass of wine.
20. Rack ’em up at your local pool joint. With pool games costing less than $2, you might even have money left over to share a pitcher of beer.
2! Count them 2 new areas added today! Linux, and Gaming areas were both added. They are both Linux related of course, but still. I will be adding more info to them as I get time, but thought I would get the basics up there now! Hope they help someone! Enjoy!
Well, I had wanted to take all my MMA links and organize them into a nice page for a while. I finally did it! I like it! Hope anyone else who is interested enough to go look likes it also! I hope to eventually link to some fighters pages and blogs also. At least my favorites! I just keep plugging away at getting all of these things added.. Slow but sure! Maybe some day I will get it the way I want it and actually become better at posting huh? 🙂
Ok, I know Libby is just a fall guy, but if he has been lying through his teeth like special prosecutor Fitzgerald says he has, he should be going to jail. This is getting so old with the Bush administration. They are a bunch of lying pieces of crap that just keep covering up for each other.. We spent 40 million dollars to discover Bill got a BJ in office, but our president breaks the law, pardons his peons and refuses to cooperate with the other branches of government, and where is our countries outrage? Why are people not upset? Why are so many people still voting republican? I do not understand? Do they not believe what they see? They are corrupt! Get on with it!
I am so sick of our twisted government. You learn about the balance of powers in School, and think, that is not a bad idea.. Then as you get older and see how horrible it works in practice, it is completely sad. I am so disappointed with how it works in practice. Anyone else? Leave a comment!