I have been a fan of Space Games since way back. I used to play a Space Trading and Conquering Game on my fathers TRS-80 Model 4 back in the early 1980’s. There have been a lot of games with the same basics since then, but the graphics sure are better now!
Well, I recently started finding more and more of those types of games for Linux, so thought I would post about them here.. Hope you enjoy them!
- Wing Commander Privateer Gold : As Grayson Burrows you inherited a small old scout class ship from your grandfather, to start over as a Privateer in a new and sparsely populated sector of the Confederation. Take your chance and become a pirate, merchant or bounty hunter upgrade your ship and experience the hard truth in a border sector where no one has anything to give away… Based off the Vega Strike Engine.
- Free Orion : an open-source game inspired by Master of Orion, is a turn-based game of epic space strategy that builds on the classic ‘4X‘ model by incorporating the nation-building elements of games such as Europa Universalis 2 and a versatile tactical combat engine. While its modular, open-source design allows for a significant degree of customization of the game engine and the story elements by the community, the FreeOrion team is dedicated to the construction of a living, breathing universe in a ‘grand campaign’ model.
- X2: The Threat : is of a new generation of space simulator games, you play the role of Julian Gardna who continues the story set by X: Beyond The Frontier. The updated graphics engine gives the universe a fresher feel with newly designed ships and stations adding to the complexity of the universe. You can order it for Linux from Tuxgames!
- Vega Strike : is an Open Source 3D Action-Space-Sim that lets you trade, fight, and explore in a vast universe. It has been used as the base for several other projects which are all listed on their website. 🙂 Including several of the Privateer and Wing Commander types.
- Oolite : A simple fly from planet to planet trading and making money and destroying pirates game. Not bad to kill a bit of time.
- Terminus : Terminus is, at its heart, a space combat simulation. Many of these “space sim” elements are similar to other games, such as the Freespace series. You can pilot a variety of single seat spacecraft, ranging from fighters to gunboats to transports. With these ships at your disposal, you can carry out a wide range of missions or contracts.
- Vendetta Online : A Great Space MMORPG. As pilots in the Vendetta universe, the progression of the player’s character is up to each individual. The starting Nation affiliation gives the player certain benefits and liabilities that fit the particular culture of that Nation, but this merely serves as a starting point for the character. Very cool Game if you like MMORPG’s in space. 🙂
Some of these are commercial, but have demos, some of them are free, and some of them are ports of popular Windows Games. All of them are fairly fun. 🙂 Post if you have more!
you should also take into account that the old DOS classics can be played with DOSBox now. DOSBox is a pretty convenient tool that works on linux, MAC OS, XP, Vista etc.
Even online MP games are now compatible between these operating systems. See this link for MOO2 via DOSBox: